Criminal Defense Attorney
Dionne M. ScherffContact Dionne
Dionne Scherff defends adults and juveniles accused of crimes in Kansas and Missouri courts. Dionne has extensive experience trying felony cases in both federal and state courts. She is one of only a handful of Kansas lawyers qualified by the Kansas Supreme Court to handle death penalty cases and is one of only two lawyers in Kansas’s history of death penalty cases to get a capital case dismissed.
Dionne has an uncanny ability to put you at ease—even in the most trying situations. Her skill at forming connections allows her to get to know her clients and their cases at record pace and, with that knowledge, quickly identify how to proceed. After one client gifted Dionne the nickname “Big Mama,” JHC’s criminal defense team agreed it fit her perfectly. We can think of no better way to express Dionne’s exquisite balance of strength and compassion.
Dionne started her trial attorney career in the Wyandotte County District Attorney’s Office and the Johnson County District Attorney’s Office, where she specialized in prosecuting child abuse and sex crime cases. After a decade of experience on the prosecution side, she moved into defense practice in 2003. Since then, Dionne has dedicated her practice to defending the wrongly accused, protecting criminal defendants’ constitutional rights, and ensuring just sentences in all types of criminal matters.
Dionne has been a Member of JHC since her former firm, Erickson Scherff LLC, merged with JHC in 2016. And, as Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy for the University of Kansas, she is helping to shape the next generation of litigators.
Dionne is a member of the Kansas Bar Association, Kansas City Metro Bar Association, Wyandotte County Bar Association, Johnson County Bar Association, and the Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. She is also active in the Junior League of Kansas City, Missouri, Gamma Phi Beta Alumni Association, American Red Cross, and Humane Society of Greater Kansas City.
University of Kansas School of Law
Juris Doctorate, 1991
University of Kansas
Bachelor of Arts, 1989
– US District Court for the District of Kansas
– US District Court for Western District of Missouri
– US District Court for Eastern District of Missouri
– US District Court for Eastern District of Oklahoma
– US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
– US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Merit Selection Panel, United States Magistrate Judge for the District of Kansas at Kansas City, 2022-2023
- District of Kansas Rule 2 Committee Member, 2022-2023
- Kansas Judicial Council Virtual Court Committee, 2021
- District of Kansas CJA Panel Selection Committee, 2019-2022
- Kansas Judicial Council Advisory Committee on Sex Offenses and Registration, 2019-2020
Kansas City | 816-673-3900
Kansas City, MO 64106
Lawrence | 785-856-0143
Lawrence, KS 66049
Overland Park | 913-948-9490
Overland Park, KS 66212
Topeka | 785-234-3272
Topeka, KS 66612
Wichita | 316-262-9393
Wichita, KS 67214
Contact Our Lawrence Office
Contact Joseph, Hollander & Craft to discuss how our team of attorneys can help you.