Topeka Child Support Lawyers

Contact Our Topeka Office

Contact Joseph, Hollander & Craft to discuss how our team of attorneys can help you.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Contact Our Topeka Office

Contact Joseph, Hollander & Craft to discuss how our team of attorneys can help you.


Compassionate Topeka Child Support Lawyers On Your Side

Joseph, Hollander & Craft’s Topeka child support attorneys help parents with child support issues on a daily basis. Whether we are assisting with a divorce involving children, a paternity action, or a modification, we routinely apply and advise clients regarding the Kansas Child Support Guidelines. If you need assistance with a child support issue, make JHC’s Topeka child support lawyers your first call.

Calculating Child Support

In all Kansas cases involving child support, the court will calculate and order an amount of financial maintenance for a child according to the Kansas Child Support Guidelines. The guidelines determine the amount of child support to be paid based on the parents’ incomes, childcare costs, health insurance costs, and the division of tax exemptions. Who pays child support and how much that parent pays will also be affected by the custody arrangement.

As we help our clients with child support issues, JHC’s Topeka child support attorneys act as counselors and problem solvers. Our main goals are to help our clients understand how child support is calculated and ensure we have the information necessary to make accurate calculations. We then work to address special issues that exist in each individual case. For example, calculations may be complicated when one parent is self-employed or when current circumstances are not fully reflected by evidence of past income and relevant expenses.

Resolving Child Support Disputes

Child support disputes may arise as a result of altered custody arrangements, changes in income, parents moving out of state, or children growing older. Resolution of these disputes relies on how the Kansas Child Support Guidelines apply. The guidelines are long, and they can be complicated. But JHC’s child support attorneys in Topeka have experience applying them in a number of unique situations. We review all available options with our clients, show how the formula applies, and help them determine how to proceed.

Serving clients in Shawnee, Riley, Geary, Brown, Nemaha, Jackson, Wabaunsee, and Jefferson Counties, JHC’s Topeka child support lawyers routinely assist clients who need to modify a child support order as well as clients establishing child support for the first time. Our Topeka child support attorneys want to help you achieve a reasonable child support order and will fight to get it for you.

Modifying Child Support

Parents must financially support their children until they reach 18 years of age or graduate from high school. Accordingly, child support obligations can last for several years. With the many changes that come with time, child support modifications are common. However, modification of a child support order is only available when there is a material change in circumstances. Some of the following factors may qualify as a material change in circumstances:

If any of these factors apply to your situation, our Topeka child support attorneys may be able to help modify your child support order. Several other changes may justify child support modification. JHC’s Topeka child support modification attorneys regularly advise clients regarding whether modification may be available and represent them before the court as they request modification. We also defend clients who seek to prevent an unfavorable modification to their child support order.

For assistance with a child support matter in Shawnee County, Riley County, Geary County, Brown County, Nemaha County, Jackson County, Wabaunsee County, or Jefferson County, call JHC’s Topeka child support lawyers today.

FAQs About Topeka Child Support

How is child support determined in Kansas?

Child support is based on the child’s need for financial support and the parents’ ability to pay based on income. Child support is set pursuant to the Kansas Child Support Guidelines. The guidelines provide a formula that takes into consideration the income of both parties, the amount of financial support the child needs, other children in the family, the costs of health insurance, the costs of childcare, tax considerations, and the parenting agreement of the parties. Either party may receive or pay child support; which one pays depends on where the child resides and how expenses are shared.

How long will a child support order last?

Kansas child support orders require support to last through the child’s eighteenth birthday or, if the child turns eighteen during high school, through the end of the school year. Sometimes, a court may order payment until the child is nineteen if the child is still in high school.

What expenses is child support supposed to cover?

The Kansas Child Support Guidelines state: “The purpose of child support is to pay for and provide for the needs of the child whether the child lives with a parent or a third party. The needs of the child include direct and indirect expenses related to the day-to-day care and well-being of the child.” The guidelines define direct expenses as “fixed expenses paid directly to a third party,” such as: all school and school-related expenses including school lunches; extracurricular activities and all necessary supplies and equipment to support those activities; and clothing. These guidelines define indirect expenses as “those expenses that benefit the child but are not paid directly for their personal needs.” This includes food, transportation, housing, and utilities.

Can I receive child support from my child’s father if we did not marry?

 Yes. Child support may be ordered after paternity is established. It is common for child support (and child custody, residency, and parenting time) to be established in a paternity action rather than in a divorce action.

Can I deny visitation when my former partner has not paid child support? Can my former partner deny visitation if I have not paid child support?

 No. Nonpayment of child support is not a valid basis to deny a child and a parent their court-ordered time together.

Can I refuse to pay child support if my former partner denies me access to my child?

No. One parent cannot refuse child support payments because the other parent has limited or denied parenting time. The obligations to pay child support and allow parenting time are separate and unrelated to the behavior of the parents.

Our Locations

Kansas City | 816-673-3900

926 Cherry St
Kansas City, MO 64106

Lawrence | 785-856-0143

5200 Bob Billings Pkwy, #201
Lawrence, KS 66049

Overland Park | 913-948-9490

10104 W 105th St
Overland Park, KS 66212

Topeka | 785-234-3272

1508 SW Topeka Blvd
Topeka, KS 66612

Wichita | 316-262-9393

500 N Market St
Wichita, KS 67214

Contact Our Topeka Office

Contact Joseph, Hollander & Craft to discuss how our team of attorneys can help you.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.