Historically, domestic violence has been inextricably related to family law. As a family law attorney, many of my clients have been victims of domestic and sexual violence. Domestic violence statistics are staggering, and domestic violence remains a major issue in many Kansas family law cases.
The Kansas Coalition against Sexual and Domestic Violence releases statistics relating to domestic violence in Kansas. Here are just a few:
1. Over the past decade, the number of domestic violence incidents reported to Kansas law enforcement agencies annually have ranged from over 18,000 to more than 23,000.
2. 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner.
3. In 2008, 99% of domestic violence victims reported experiencing at least one form of economic abuse.
4. In 2008, there were 19 domestic-violence-related homicides, not including children.
5. In 2012, there were 14 domestic-violence-related homicides in the Kansas City metro area, alone. This number does not include children.
6. In 2009, there were 32 domestic-violence-related homicides. That year, 13 children were slain in domestic-violence-related incidents.
More information about domestic violence in Kansas can be found athttp://www.kcsdv.org.
If you are a victim of domestic violence and need the assistance of a family law attorney, contact Joseph Hollander & Craft. Our attorneys have experience and training in handling cases involving domestic violence, and we can assist you in reaching out to community resources. Contact Julia Craft, Kristine Lawless, or Rebecca Sisk in Wichita (316-262-9393), Topeka (785-234-3272), or Lawrence (785-856-0143).