1. Knowledge of the Law and Local Rules: Two attorneys can arrive at two very different child support calculations. If you have an attorney who does not know the intricacies of the child support guidelines, you could end up paying more than you should or end up receiving less than you should. Knowing the local rules and the judges is also extremely important. In Kansas, each county does things a little (sometimes a lot) differently. If your attorney is not familiar with the local procedures, you may be at a disadvantage. Joseph Hollander & Craft’s family law attorneys practice regularly in Sedgwick, Shawnee, Douglas, Jefferson, Pottawat-omie, Butler, and Sumner counties.
2. Understanding & Compassion: A divorce is never a pleasant experience. It can feel like an emotional roller coaster. Joseph Hollander & Craft’s family law attorneys understand that we are helping our clients through one of the toughest points in their lives. We also understand that we are entrusted with decisions regarding things that mean the most to our clients, such as their children.
3. Honesty: Beware of an attorney who tells you your case is a slam dunk winner. Every case has some negatives and there is never a sure thing. An attorney should explain the positives and negatives of your case and tell you about the various possible outcomes.
4. Good Negotiation Skills: The majority of cases settle out of court. This is a good thing be-cause it saves both parties time and money. Since this is the case, it is imperative that your family law attorney have top notch negotiating skills.
5. Courtroom Experience: When negotiations fail, you need an attorney who is an experienced litigator. All of our family law attorneys have considerable experience in the courtroom.
For assistance in your divorce or custody matter, call the family law attorneys at Joseph Holland-er & Craft in Wichita: 316-262-9393, Topeka: 785-234-3272 or Lawrence: 785-856-0143