Mr. McHugh is a litigator with decades of experience defending individuals and businesses in civil and criminal litigation in Kansas and Missouri courts. In addition to his courtroom practice, Mr. McHugh counsels entities and individuals on law relating to cannabis, marijuana, and hemp projects; represents entities seeking medical marijuana licensure; and assists in all manner of related regulatory issues.
Mr. McHugh is licensed to practice in the state and municipal courts of Kansas and Missouri; the United States District Court for the District of Kansas; the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri; the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit; the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit; and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. McHugh received his juris doctorate in 2000 from the University of Kansas School of Law. As a student, he was a Rice Scholar—one of five in his law school class selected for the merit-based scholarship awarded based on outstanding academic records and proven leadership ability. Upon graduation, he earned membership in the Order of the Coif, a national honor society for law school graduates with exceptional academic achievement.
Mr. McHugh earned a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing in 1997 from Wichita State University. Mr. McHugh was an Emory Lindquist Honors Scholar and a member of the international business honor society, Beta Gamma Sigma.
After graduating from law school in 2000, Mr. McHugh joined the firm then known as Joseph & Hollander working in the criminal defense and civil litigation practice groups in the Wichita and Topeka offices. In 2010, Mr. McHugh relocated his practice to Kansas City. In 2019, he rejoined the firm now known as Joseph, Hollander & Craft as it opened its office in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. McHugh returned to the firm with a wealth of experience gained from representing companies in state and federal courts across Kansas and Missouri in commercial litigation matters—particularly in the construction and transportation industries. Mr. McHugh’s courtroom experience spans from state to federal regulatory, trial, and appellate work.
Mr. McHugh is a member of MoCannTrade’s Board of Directors and a member of the National Cannabis Industry Association’s (NCIA) State Regulation Committee. He is also a member of the WSU Cohen Honors College Advisory Board and Vice President of the Board of Directors for the Joshua Center for Neurological Disease. He also serves on the Board of After Action Network, a veteran’s non-profit organization.
Mr. McHugh is a member of the Kansas Bar Association, the Missouri Bar Association and the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association. He regularly presents at continuing legal education programs, particularly programs regarding the cannabis industry in Missouri.
Mr. McHugh was honored by winning Greenway Magazine’s inaugural Best of the Cannabis Industry Awards and named Best Business Lawyer – Kansas City/Northwest Missouri.
Recent Representative Litigation
- Fox v. TransAm Trucking, Inc., case number 12-2076 (District of Kansas, Jun. 11, 2014) (class certification)
- CRST Expedited, Inc. v. TransAm Trucking, Inc., case number C16-52-LTS (Northern District of Iowa, Jul. 31, 2018) (summary judgment)
- Fox et al. v. TransAm Leasing, Inc. et al., case no. 15-3203 (10th Circuit, Oct. 18, 2016) (Truth-in-Leasing Act)
- State of Missouri v. Armstrong, case number 1416-CR-01635 (16th Judicial Circuit of Missouri, April 14, 2016) (jury verdict)
- The Allant Group, Inc. v. Helzberg Diamond Shops, Inc., case number 51-20-1400-0344 (American Arbitration Association, Jan. 14, 2016) (arbitration award)
- United States v. Max Ary, case number 05-10053 (District of Kansas, Dec. 14, 2016) (ownership of Apollo 11 Lunar Sample Contingency Bag)